Portland Virtual Scholars is a supplemental program, not a school. This means that students cannot earn a diploma from Virtual Scholars. Students must be enrolled in a PPS school in order to enroll in a VS course. You can sign up with Virtual Scholars through your school counselor. Talk to your counselor today!
On February 8, 2010, the Portland Public School Board adopted a revision to the District’s Diploma Policy (4.20.042-P) to align it with State requirements. The new policy becomes effective immediately with the Class of 2010 and beyond. Changes from previous policy include:
- Elimination of the three-credit Pathway requirement. These three credits are now included in the overall elective credit requirement.
- Elimination of the one credit for the Senior Portfolio requirement. *Students who have already started work on their portfolio may still earn this credit upon its completion.
- A reduction in required credits for graduation - 24, instead of 25 - because of the elimination of the Senior Portfolio credit.
New Diploma Requirements
Class of 2012
Class of 2013
Class of 2014
Class of 2015
Class of 2016 and beyond
English 4 4 4 4 4 Math 3 3 3 3 3 Science 3 3 3 3 3 Social Studies 3 3 3 3 3 Physical Education 1 1 1 1 1 Health 1 1 1 1 1 Career & Technical Education, The Arts or World Language World Language 2 2 2 2 2 Career & Technical Education, The Arts or the 3rd year of the same World Language 1 1 1 1 1 Electives 6 6 6 6 6 1Meet district proficiency for Oregon's Essential skill (ES) standards: Reading Reading
2Develop a Personal Education Plan X X X X X 3Participate in Career Related Learning Experiences X X X X X 4Demonstrate Career Related Knowledge and Skills X X X X X 5Complete an Extended Application X X X X X TOTAL CREDITS 24 24 24 24 24
ADDITIONAL DIPLOMA TYPES
- Essential Skills: Read, write, speak/listen, think critically, apply math, use technology, civic and community engagement, global literacy, personal management and teamwork.
- Personal Education Plan: Helps to guide students in pursuing their personal, academic and career interests and post-high school goals.
- Career Related Learning Experiences: Educational experiences that connect learning to the world beyond the classroom.
- Career Related Learning Standards: Problem-solving, personal management, teamwork, employment foundations, communication and career development.
- Extended Application: The application of academic and specialized knowledge and skills within the context of a student's personal and career interests and post-high school goals.
In addition to the changes in the graduation requirements listed above, the Portland School Board also approved the implementation of new state-mandated diplomas for students pursuing a modified course of study. These changes include the addition of an Extended Diploma and changes to the current Modified Diploma.
The Extended Diploma is a new diploma available to students in special education. Students must meet state consideration criteria and earn 12 credits in the specified content area receive this diploma. This diploma will be available to students beginning with the Class of 2010.
The Modified Diploma is available to a broader range of students. Under the new rules of this diploma, students must earn 24 credits and meet state-specified criteria. Of these 24 credits, 12 credits must be core credits including English, science, social science, and math. This diploma will be available to students beginning with the Class of 2012.NCAA INFORMATION
If you require an NCAA course, make sure to work with your counselor to select courses that qualify.
NCAA APPROVED: Virtual Scholars courses taken during the Cohort Model at Portland Evening Scholars or during Summer Scholars are NCAA approved.
NOT NCAA APPROVED: Virtual Scholars Blended Online Courses taken during the school day or taken at home are not currently approved by NCAA. You will need to take an alternative credit option if you are seeking NCAA, NJCAA, NAIA, etc., eligibility (or may do so in the future).